Haymaking and Baling
What do Haying and Baling operations entail?
For multi-crop/livestock farms, being able to feed animals regularly all year long is key. Feeding animals grass is a viable option, which can be harvested in various ways: Haying, Wrapping or Silage. Hay is grass that has been mowed then left to dry for a harvest with a Dry Matter content of at least 80%, while Wrapping applications use grass with a D.M. content between 50-80%. Silage is performed with grass containing between 30-50% dry matter content.
It is also possible to harvest straw from grain crops derived from plants with a moisture content below 15%. This type of straw is used in particular in livestock rearing buildings thanks to its high-absorbing properties (straw-bedded pens, stalls, etc.).
Haying includes all hay harvesting operations while Baling can be done with straw or hay:
- For Haying operations, Mowers (Left) or Mowers-Conditioners (Right) are most often used, as well as Loader Wagons, which are also useful in silage operations.
- Trailed balers are used for Baling operations to shape and store forage into round (Left) or square bales (Right).
How do Haying equipment and Balers function?
Mower-Conditioner: This implement has a rotating set of knives that cuts the crop. Combined with a conditioner, it also aerates the forage thanks to fingers or flails mounted on the rotor.
(1) – Pick-up: This front-end attachment mounted on forage harvesters collects the forage via a rotating movement of spring tines.
(2) – Round balers: This machine is used to shape round forage bales. The forage is collected by an integrated Pick-up, then a moving baler chamber rolls it before wrapping it with a net or twine.
(3) – Square balers: This machine is used to shape square forage bales. The forage is collected by an integrated Pick-up, then a piston system in the pressing chamber packs the bale before knotting it with twine.
Loader Wagons: This is a wagon equipped with a Pick-up and a cutting system that collects the forage for bulk storage.
What are the leading brands on the market for forage harvesters?
There are many brands on the market for Haying and Baling operations, and some of them have specialised in specific farm machinery for these applications.
- KUHN: FC, GMD, ALTERNA
- JOHN DEERE
- CLAAS: DISCO, CORTO
- KRONE: AM, AMT, EASYCUT, BIG M
- POTTINGER: EUROCAT, CATNOVA, NOVACAT, NOVADISC
- KVERNELAND / VICON
- IDASS: EasyWay, GE
- CLAAS: PU 300/380
- JOHN DEERE
- KRONE: EasyFlow
BALER AND LOADER WAGONS
- NEW HOLLAND
- BB900 (920, 940, 950, 960, 980)
- BB9000 (9040, 9050, 9060, 9070, 9080, 9090)
- BIGBALER (870-1290)
- BR (700, 6000, 7000)
- JOHN DEERE
- 800 Series (852, 854, 862, 864)
- 900 Series (960, 990)
- 500 Series( 570, 580, 590 / 572, 582, 592)
- 1400 Series (1424, 1433, 1434) …
- QUADRANT (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000)
- ROLLANT (200, 300, 400)
- VARIANT (100, 200, 300, 400)
- BIG PACK
- VARIO PACK
- MASSEY FERGUSON
- 100 Series (185, 187, 188, 190)
- 2100 Series (2150, 2160, 2170, 2190)
- 2200 Series (2240, 2250, 2260, 2270, 2290)…
- MC HALE
- V600 (640, 660)
- FUSION VARIO…
- LSB (870-1290)
- VB / VBP 2100 (2160, 2190)
- VB / VBP 2200 (2255, 2260, 2265, 2285, 2290, 2295)
- FB / FBP (2130, 2135, 3130, 3135)…
- CASE IH
- JUMBO / JUMBO COMBILINE
- SCHUITEMAKER RAPID…
- LELY WELGER